Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kenglish

I guess every non-English speaking country in the world has terms and turns that are unique to that country. Once in a while, I have been a victim of including Kenglish in my speech and my boyfriend has been quick to point out my grammatical mistakes even though he is also a victim of Swenglish/svengelska saying stuff like 'At half seven we're going to eat dinner' and of course applying overused Swedish words and phrases like;
the number of possibilities is endless, opinion, sustainable,....yes yes I digress


If you are a Kenyan or a foreigner living in Kenya, I am sure you have heard or used some of these terms probably even without noticing:

"you are lost" - To imply that you have not been arĂ³und for a while or have been out of touch. A direct translation of Swahili 'umepotea'

"Me I am reading...", "you, you are reading..." - I don't know whether it is used as a preface to any declarative sentence

"at mine" - To mean my house/home e.g we agreed to spend the weekend at mine

"Fine" in response to 'hi', 'hello' and 'how are you'

"you've added" - to tell someone they've gained wait

"give me a push" - when you are leaving and want to walk with you part of the way

"Otherwise" - what else have you been up to

"Nice time" - to wish you a pleasant time

"that means what?" - what does that mean

"as in" - to further explain something

And this is the mother of them all

"beat me a snap" - a direct translation of Swahili "nipige picha" meaning, 'take a picture of me'

No comments:


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Visitors from around the world